Saturday, March 03, 2007

Names

Whats in a name?

My ex-to-be IM'ed me last night and did her normal "Alan, can I ask you a question?". This is normally the "uhoh" for me as it means she's been thinking something and now wants my opinion whether she should do it or not, but really she's already decided so won't like it if I disagree.

Well I wasn't expecting what she asked. She sent me a link to a deed poll website and then asked me what I thought of her changing her name to

Ms firstname her maiden name-my surname

I know she's been thinking about what to do about it for some time, since we split. She didn't want to give up the old surname as she liked it, plus she wanted to have that common link with the surname the boy has (and will keep, he won't be changing his name at all), I do know the longer we've been apart the more she's wanted to go back too and has been torn.

It's probably a good compromise, but damn it felt weird.

I rang her up last night and asked her for by the new name and she just got confused and asked who I wanted a couple of times before she heard me giggle and said "Alan!" exasperatedly.

*grin*

No comments: