Thursday, March 01, 2007

Geek splurges

So I'm thinking about PC's and stuff again. The LCD screen on my PC in the lounge died on Monday (grrr) but fortunately I had one on the PC in the bedroom so stole that. Its smaller and isn't as clear but it works fine. I did start looking at replacements though, and there are some gorgeous 19" widescreen ones that are so tempting. So so tempting. This had me thinking though this morning, do I really need one? This 15" is fine (just a shock after the 17"). Do I need that PC in my bedroom? I fire it up like once every couple of months, apart from that never use it.



I'm trying to think of who I could give it to. Its not a bad PC, AMD 2700 I think, gig of RAM. Still reasonably quick. Charities won't take electrical goods (certification). I've given all my old ones to my sister before, so thats a possibility, but she doesnt really need it... its just been hassle before when I've had to sort them out (she should bite the bullet and buy a cheap new one). I've also had a few probs with the PSU of this one, or it hanging on the BIOS startup and needing powering off but don't use it enough to know if its a real problem. I could give it to the ex, as its faster than her PC, but again, same issues... I guess she would have her old one as a spare. It does seem a little silly just sitting there, and its too noisy to leave on as a server.



Then, I start daydreaming and thinking of getting a little Mac just to play with, just because... or another shuttle PC as they are just SO cute as general media/entertainment/play pc's for the bedroom (I don't really play games :-). So many geeky possibilities. I want to know what bonus we are getting!!!!





No comments: