Monday, March 12, 2007

Cats

The ex phoned last night. The new cat she has is an older, rescued, cat and was in a cat accident several years ago. Hip and jaw. The original foster lady had said they would help cover costs in those two places of any problems (as she won't get insurance covering that) but now the cat sanctuary have said they won't and she shouldn't have said that. So the ex phoned.



What could I do? I couldn't tell her that she should take the cat back, not now the boy had played with him for a bit. I could tell she was worried though as there is no way she could meet the costs. I couldn't break the boys heart, so I said I'd cover the costs if anything happens. Its unlikely to, but it gives her reassurance so they can enjoy the pet. I did say though, if anything did happen at the cat's age then it may well be likely that he might have to be put down to stop his suffering and she said she understood. I said I'd talk to the boy next weekend, just casually about it. Just put that background idea in his head that the cat is not a young one and what they are doing is giving him a good home for the rest of his life. I'm better than her at those little guiding conversations, making them light and positive rather than scaring the life out of him. I could say nothing but, I think its important he see's this as a positive thing and what they are doing for the cat, so that if one day he has to look back in sadness, he can have that little lift.



Yes, I know, I went from being jealous of the damned cat to offering to pay for it. I am soft :P.

No comments: