Monday, December 11, 2006

Presents 1

Two things will remain with me for a long long time after my birthday. Two incredibly generous gifts from two incredibly special people. People who have blessed me with their friendship, their time and their affection.

To explain the first, a little back story. At the beginning of the week, my Owner dropped a little bombshell on me. She told me she wanted me to go to the pet store and get a dog collar. She was fairly specific over the colouring and style. Tan and simple. The first attempt, I didn't see any I liked, and I didn't want to settle for anything that wasn't just right for her. So, the next day I trudged all the way to the other end of town and found he pet shop I didn't know was there :). It was about a 15min walk from the station and I spent the whole time trying not to think about not being able to find it, or not finding something that I liked. I must have spent a good 10mins while I was there, looking at the various collars distractedly to the point that when the shop assistant came and asked if i needed help - i jumped out of my skin. I knew the right one though, so I bought it.

I had to remind myself to breathe the whole walk home. I could feel the leather in my jacket pocket where I had my hand to keep it warm. Wrapped around my fingers. Holding it and buzzing quietly til I got all the way home and could lay it on the table.

I didn't know why til the day before my birthday. I came home from work and collected the post to find a little white envelope in it. There was a little printed stamp on it saying "pet tag". I have to admit at that point my hands were shaking so much I could barely open the envelope. I so hoped for what it might be... but didnt dare, so I just held my breath while i opened it, shaking out all the loose papers for pet insurance til a little brass disc fell into my palm.

I don't remember much of the evening after that, except talking to her online and her telling me to attach it to the collar and then put it on for her. A little disc with "Owned by...." on one side, and "Kitty" on the other. Her name for me... as I'm a pup that purrs. The fact she had ordered that for me, had it sent to me for my birthday. I was just humbled and proud at the same time. I will treasure it, just as I treasure her investment in me. Holding that in my hand... feeling it against the hollow of my neck. Just... oh my god.


No comments: