Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Christmas

So. Christmas. Something I've been avoiding thinking about too much in one of those it will happen and then be over with soon kinds of way as for me, I'm planning it to start on the 27th.

I had to think about it tonight as the ex phoned and asked if i'd stay over Christmas Eve so I'd be there for the boy Christmas morning. My reaction was to say no, it can be so awkward in the house but... Honestly, its Christmas and more chance to be with him, I couldn't say no. So the plans are now -

Christmas Eve... drive to the ex's for about 3pm, then walk with them to church for Christingle. Spend a quiet evening there.
Christmas Morning... spend it with both til just before lunch, then come home for the rest of the day as they are at her parents.
Boxing Day... drive back to the ex's for the morning and a light lunch before they go out again.
27th... drive back to the ex's and get the boy then take him down to the parents.
29th... drive back to the ex's with the boy and Mum to go see a panto, then back to my parents.
1st... drive back to the ex's, drop off the boy, drive home.

A lot of travelling, and just those few quiet times I wasn't looking forward to. SO much better than last year though. Last year we arrived back from Disneyworld Florida on Christmas Morning and then it was home alone. The one and only time I let myself get drunk over the split up. It will not happen this year as I'm on call!

Those who are with their families this year. No matter how hard the situation, how strained... try... try... try just to treasure them for that one day. Please.

No comments: