Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Tip to the wise. Avoid Museums in holidays!

OK, so, going upto London to the museum's in a school holiday. Bad idea. Bad bad bad idea. I think I have had worse idea's but they don't quite come to mind at the moment.

Fortunately, the boy was patient, took standing on the train for the 45mins going up in good humour and we had great fun. When we got to the museum's, the natural history museum was refusing entry as it was overcrowded and there was a 30min queue into the science museum due to the extra time needed for bag searches. We queued patiently, chatted and generally did what we did all day - just enjoyed each others company.

The place was just heaving, so, rather than wander round (as we've been there before several times) we made our way down to the hands on bit which was even worse. We ended up sitting in on three of the different fun science demonstrations for half hour each time. Its so great the boy listens and pays attention and really loves to learn as he had a good time. Fun fun science, bubbles, bridges and explosions. He loved it. After, we made our way home. Still chatting. Tonight he was, to be polite, a little overtired and grumpy. If I wasn't polite I'd say he was a moody little sod. I think the landlady was a little shocked as she has never seen him like this. He is just a little boy and gets tired and grumpy with the rest of them. When he is good he is very very good, when he is tired he is a right pain in the bum. I have to say, I am damn proud of him. I people watch other people with their kids when they are out and some seem to have so much hassle. Beyond the wanting-everything-in-the-gift-shop moments the boy is always grateful for the places he visits and goes wanting to enjoy. Its always a pleasure to take him out and I'm always glad to introduce him to people and know he knows how to behave. The odd tired moments, well, we are very lucky parents.

Hell, I know what I am like when I am overtired so I am not in a position to complain. Staying up late with the landlady this week is probably doing the same to me... This morning I had one of my silly moments when I stopped thinking about how lovely this week was with the both of them and started thinking about next week when both will be gone, in her case for 6 months. Silly silly me, leading to a minor panicked looming deep dark hole of lonliness moment when I got very clingy. These things don't seem to last as long now though, definitely not long enough to stop me from enjoying the moments. Thats a very very good thing.

Oh and as the boy smothered me in kisses and cuddles all day, even in public... I think that counts as a very very very good day and a very happy boy.

No comments: