Friday, October 27, 2006

Good week

So the week is nearly over and fond memories there will be too. Yesterday the boy and I went upto London again for a second visit. Getting up early I managed to get together a few options for the boy and let him decide. In the end it was the aquarium that got the vote (hell I didn't even know there was one til a friend suggested it). Plans for after included some sightseeing and then a trip along to Hamley's toy store just to oggle and browse and make a late evening of it.

Despite his very long sleep in (yes, I actually got him to go to bed early on a holiday night!) it proved too much though. Between the delays on the train, delays on the tube and general huge crowds we had some tears after we'd been to the aquarium. The queue in probably didnt help and he is even more uncomfortable abou crowds than I am. That I can understand, being elbow height to a tourist cannot be fun. So we cut it short, cuddled on the train on the way home while he napped and then had a nice quiet evening at home. Kinda nice really.

Today has been quiet, I let my landlady borrow the car as hers is now sold and we've sat and cuddled and watched movies. Lazy as hell but lovely to catch our breath. The end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (we've been watching it a little each evening... and Harrison Ford. Yes I would, in a heart beat, he wouldn't even have to beg *purrrr*) such a fun fun movie, he loved it. Followed by the first two Jurassic Parks. Yes, a very boys own kind of day. Of course the bedroom has now been transformed into an animal park with escaped dinosaurs roaming the house while he sat shooting at the screen. Kind of nice. King of lovely in fact. I love seeing his imagination take over.

Tonight, early to bed as 4am its up to take the Lady to the airport and then I won't see her for 6 months. A real shame but it has been a grand old week. No regrets.

Yesterday though, I think I just about exercised what was bothering me when I finally finally worked out what was getting to me and what was just reacting. I struggle sometimes as a Dad, start to ask if I am being a good Dad when he has bad days. I admit this has been a tough week at times, this maybe the first time I've had the boy to myself and at home for the week rather than be away and at times I did struggle. Struggle to keep him entertained, struggle to keep him out of the Landlady's way too much. Struggle to keep up with his energy. On top of this, my Landlady has certain very strong opinions of how a child should talk and behave whilst I do understand her point, and the manners she was brought up with, I did take her correcting him very personally and started to get very defensive and take it as criticism against how I was as a parent - something I am not exactly over-confident of at the best of times. Considering the way the marriage went I think my ex-to-be and I have a lot to be proud of in how this little boy is. With the arguing, violence, general atmosphere... well this boy is pretty special (in my not so humble opinion) and I am just grateful he hasn't suffered too many visible ill-effects of our struggles.

A little different perspective though, and I saw how she was niggled by his use of "he" instead of "Daddy" whereas I was equally if not much more niggled by the fact of her casual swearing when she wasn't thinking. So, suddenly things snap back into position and I am pretty pleased with how this week has gone. I am definitely very pleased with how he's eaten as this was something I was very defensive about last time she was here, she being a wonderful cook whereas... well... I keep us alive and I make sure he has a balanced diet of fruits and vegetables even if much of the main meals are prepackaged. I know how uptight I was last time they were both here, so, that was one thing I really did concentrate on this time and am much relieved that the effort paid off.

So, all in all, things are coming to a close with that happyness tinged with sadness of missing them both. It has been a good good week.

No comments: