Sunday, October 01, 2006

Bad day at work, but happy smile?

Its been an interesting week at work. More personality clashes. Well. We have a charming individual in our team that delights in complaining about lack of communication or being included in things. If suggestions are made he will shoot them down, he will never make a positive suggestion on it though. He will always complain about what we are not doing, very rarely take the initiative on finding better ways. I know I am not always right but... if I see a problem I try to find a way to fix it or at least make it easier in the future. I may not always come up with the best idea but any attempt is better than just not trying. If someone has a better idea then I'm all ears and am not too proud to discard what I think. I do object to just being told WHY my idea won't work though with no attempt at something else instead.

If you try and pin him down on something you will get excuses, complaints, delays, all the things he complains about from others. A set of emails midweek had me so livid I ended up having to walk out to get a coffee to regain my cool. Fortunately I didnt have any money on me so this involved a 20min walk to get some! I had to laugh more when I finally got back to buy my coffee and he was in the queue in front of me... These things are sent to amuse and amuse it did. I like feeling in control, that I can decide how I react and what I do. It makes so much difference.

So, I removed myself from the annoying situation, didn't get into a flame war, was professional, calm... and it gave me the incentive to make sure I did apply for that job I had seen. I don't think it will go anywhere but now I have enough written down to update my CV and consider my options properly. Bad things at work just ending up making me giggle? Oh my now that is a change. Last time things were like this I wrote a story about wanting to be flogged...

No comments: