Thursday, October 19, 2006

Calls

Grrrr so I go to the munch and just long enough to buy a southern-comfort and lemonade and my work phone rings. Only 2nd on call but the first on-call isn't answering. I had left my laptop at work on a chance (I mean how often does the second get called out???). That'll teach me. Worse, this was about a server that had been down 3 days so why was it suddenly so urgent for a call out?

Well I agreed to pop into work on the way back home after the install had completed to try and recover the configuration as they insisted it was done tonight.

I was kind of quiet. I listened, I had the call out on my mind. I don't think I was really in a group mode but I didn't feel uncomfortable really, just quiet. Had a nice dinner though. Only thing that was not hard but... noticable was just how much of a different world it is. My experience is all online, they were all talking about this event they had been to or that, or this party or this person that had flogged them or... lots of common shared experiences between them. I guess I couldn't really relate.

I am pleased though how little thought I put into going for the second time. I just did it. Whether its for me I don't know, but just going back without worrying was good for me.

So I went into work, pointed out all the reasons why we didn't have to rebuild the server over night and came home again. Kinda proud of that as a year ago I would probably have just gone along with it and been quietly cross inside. Being calmly confident seems so much better.

Late getting home and now almost finished unwinding so bed calls. Just time to roll my eyes at finding the waterboard have dug up the path at the bottom of the drive for a water leak from the stopcock. Good job I don't have to get the car out in a hurry...

No comments: