Thursday, October 12, 2006

Interviews

Two interviews down and now space to think about them. Last night it was really too much and too close to put anything like sane thought to it. The first interview went well, more like a casual chat than anything else. Techie to techie starting with the "well you obviously know Solaris so I wont ask anything much" and degenerating to swapping anecdotes, comments on the equipment they used and various techniques. Nice. The HR interview after pretty similar, we'd worked for the same company and left for pretty much the same reason and my CV shows i've worked for both large and small companies so can adapt to the formal and informal as business dictates. I am kind of a chameleon like that. I'm also used to working under my own initiative and not needing to be told what to do. Find something that needs fixing, fix it, make sure it stays fixed.
So, they told me in as many words they will make me an offer just need to work out what it is. I wait and see.

The telephone interview straight after went badly. I don't like them anyway, technical phone interviews and I could tell from her voice there were big gaps in what I was saying. I made a few kick yourself after mistakes (you know how somethings are so obvious you just do them without thinking?) and (being a large company) they were very focussed on what they do all the time which didnt match what I do all the time. Not that I couldn't learn but... I think they want someone that can just do it NOW. No time to learn. So I don't expect a second interview from that one.

So now lots of thoughts. The new small company, lower salary, more challenges, more responsibility, hands on dirty with lots of technologies. I know I'd live and breathe it. It would be all consuming in the week with the boy at the weekends. I've been there and done that before. Or... where I am now. Large, well paid, not so much expected, frustrating in its red tape, little holes to find things to do. Flexible hours, healthcare, pension, all the big company benefits. Something I can get away from at night except when I choose to. I wonder if I am beyond that living for the job thing, if I should be striving to fill those out of work hours with meaningful things rather than going back to the old ways. I wonder if its healthy for me. I wonder too about the commute as it felt a long long journey driving and my back was aching after it, I do like that walk in the mornings now, the lack of hassle of the trains (well except them not turning up). My back does play up and I am not sure how it would take to driving over an hour each way each day.

Much to think about and now another interview Friday evening and suddenly out of time to do all the things I have to do!

But tomorrow is my boys birthday, so after it all I will relax and forget about it for a little.

Happy weekend all!

No comments: