Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Variations on a theme (II)

Short but I hope sweet, the second route my mind took

You smiled at me, closing the collar quickly round my neck, whispering a quick "follow me pet" as you took my head and led me upstairs to the bedroom. I could tell you were excited about something, you had the sweet slightly hyperlook you get when you've been planning something. Your eyes were on mine, watching me, waiting for my reaction. I couldn't think what it was you wanted to show me, I'd only been in your bedroom briefly before to clean but, couldn't see anything different, anything you wanted to show me. You let me stand there and laughed at my bewilderment, your fingers closing round my collar to give me a little playful tug over to the corner where the closet door stood half open. I followed, still not sure what to expect as we walked towards it. How you were standing blocked it til the last moment when you stood aside with a big wide grin at the shocked expression on my face.

The closet had been.... changed. No longer a place for hanging clothes. What must have once been a small bedside cabinet in the corner, the tail nicely placed to curl over the top in pride of place. My collection of plugs and toys neatly arranged on the shelf below. A sleeping matt placed on the floor, a few cushions, the dog chew that you always teased me you'd make me play fetch with. Leash hanging from the wall. Another hook for my collar. All those things which made this puppy happy... the outward signs of what he was, you had them all here.

I looked up at you in confusion, not understanding. You grinned again, laughing as you spoke to me "every puppy needs a cage my pet, but i really hope you are housetrained by now". I threw myself at you, hugging you tightly, barely noticing as you petted my hair. Ohhhh.... how could this be? A place for me to lay, sleep, be close if you called me, if you wanted company, to cuddle, to talk, play and tease, someone to warm your feet in the cold of the night or just to know you could do all these things at your whim. I was sure you would tease me... I was sure I'd be woken in the still of the night by the sounds of your appetite being appeased but it didn't matter... that would be just another sweet agony which I would learn to love. All that mattered was my place at your feet.

No comments: