Monday, August 21, 2006

Prison food

They are going to be the death of me. I swear it. That or I will be locked up for going postal. That sounds kind of nice actually, all the food I can eat, regular exercise, routine, being someones bitch.... Hmmmm. No, thats not the solution, they'd just breed if you did anyway and more would replace them.

Who?

Project Managers.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh. God never heard anything so misnamed in this place. They don't manage projects, not like real PM's, they just hassle people trying to get their project through its milestones. Doesn't matter if its right, or works, or screws the rest of the company, just make sure they hit their targets. Where's the professionalism?

This mornings "discussions" (well I didn't shout, so that was a good thing, just on the terse edging to rude side). I did all the work. I built the boxes, filesystems, users, did it all... in under the timescales they asked. Handed it over. Two weeks later they totally change their mind as they finally spoke to the test and production people that would be using it who said "oh thats not how we do things". Thanks IT Dev... So we re-do it. Annoying but kind of the norm around here so don't make a fuss. Just say give it to me in an email, don't worry about tickets and I will do it monday, just get that new user created properly so its all official.

So Mr PM starts hassling people saying it had to be authorised. No answer, so he emails again now including the IT Ops Director in a simple user request saying its urgent! Then he phones my team leader and manager when they've already left for the day. All to get approval for a user request that could wait til the next day! It can't be urgent, I spent two weeks prior to building trying to get any answers out of them so I knew what to build. How much more proactive can you be?

Then he phones me this morning and I start to lose it... He says he is "managing" this issue. Interfering I call it. Trying to make up for their cockups. Escalation as a way of life. Why not just do it right first time and actually manage the project? Now he's been at my desk. The user doesn't work. Of course it doesn't work its not been created yet! I never said I was going to do it, I said let me know when it had been created. We do have processes you know, these things do happen all the time... But no, its all almighty urgent as his customer is chasing him. Well frankly I don't care, thats your fault for setting completely unrealistic expectations without discussing with us first. Thats your problem for not managing this. I told him point blank, interfere, you slow these things down. Our 2nd line have production things to look after... service requests will come after. So now he is off to escalate with our manager to get this done as a priority. Just like all IT Dev project managers.

Stiil. Once he's created the user I am not exactly in a hurry to change permissions so he can use it. Petty probably, but this has gone on too much.

*growls*

There thats better. I may even avoid killing the person next to me. Got to love this place. I tell someone there's a problem, offer to help them out of hours to actually finally get it sorted out after this work has gone on far too long (since last Oct).... So of course they say thanks, thats great, lets do it. Uhuh. They go off and talk to someone brainless in our team and then spend the whole morning blind leading the blind over it. Its not that I think I am brilliant or always right (I'm not, but I'm not bad at what I do and generally try to be helpful) but its just rude!

I can't remember what they say about stripes (especially prison ones) - should skinny people avoid them?

*ponders*

No comments: