Monday, January 08, 2007

Pride

We had a very strange leaving event this work at week. A guy in our team was leaving (and he has always been very unlucky, so there was the normal teasing about what might go wrong). It was all a little odd, and he kept not being in the office in the week upto going and was very coy as to what was happening.

His job was in europe so we bought him a travel guide as part of his leaving present. When we went to hand it to him we were told he wasnt going there at all, the contract had fallen through and at the last minute he had had to take another one in the UK. It was all kind of uncomfortable and no one knew what to say.

It made me think. He had obviously know this might happen for a week or two. What would I have done in that situation? Would I have told everyone? Would I have kept quiet? Would I have asked for my old job back? Would I have burnt my bridges too much to go back? Would I be too proud.

I think I've never burnt bridges behind me though, this industry is too small and it would bite you in the bum when you ran into those people again. It made me think though, how much do I let pride stop me from doing or saying?

No comments: