Sunday, January 07, 2007

Nudge nudge, wink wink

The boy has been a big manic this week with his new PC. It was to be expected, a new toy, new things to do, new people to talk to, new ways to do it. We set it up last week and got it all connected and raring to go and then he got a little over excited. He is set up with a limited amount of family on his IM's and he started to bomb us all with buzzes and winks and emoticons as soon as he saw anyone online. It was kinda cute in a this gets very old fast and a pain in the ass kind of way. After we'd talked on voice for a little and played games, he kept on and on buzzing and winking at people so we had to start setting rules. Only talk if you ask Mum first (as its at her house, so he rrules). Then when he still hassled people, no winks and nudges. Then the hard night... We agreed a time he would call me and he would play but he ignored that so we had to ground him for the first time. That was hard. Discipline is necessary but its really hard to do when I don't get much chance to be with him, and you almost feel guilty for saying "no" when all they want to do is spend more time with you. Its the time with his Mum though, and he has homework to do, time with her, playtime and we want the computer to just be part of that. So he was grounded that night and no PC time for breaking the rules.

We had a big chat about it Saturday, I explained how I am busy, I get tired from work, I need time to unwind from work. I need to eat, so I can't just be there all the time. So we came to an arrangement, Tues-Fri he can call and play games for 30mins about 7.30pm and then he can get ready for bed and relax. That gives me Mondays in peace as I am normally most tired then. Settings rules seems so hard from so far but its good when we work out a sensible compromise between us, bodes well for the future.

No comments: