Sunday, November 05, 2006

Planet Earth

Planet Earth. There isn't often I hear a tv programme advertised that actually genuinely makes me excited. The last was when they advertised the start of the new Doctor Who series... the fact I could sit with my boy and watch cuddled up, the same way I did with my Dad... it was a continuation of generations. Passing on the times I was so lucky to have had and now he had his own memories, his own times hiding and delighting at being scared.

So, this time... when I heard those opening bars of "Sigur Ros's Hoppipolla" that they use for the adverts, I stopped breathing and just watched, feeling the hairs on my arms and neck stand on end. There is something about that music that is appropriately breathtaking, awe inspiring and just... wow. After the first set of episodes of Planet Earth... just the sound of it is enough to bring tears to my eyes. This is the natural history programme to end all others and I am so excited to see it come back. Five years in the making, a programme where they took two years just to get permission to film on Navy ships in the artic, to hunt around for weeks just for 30 secs of film. Three months of editting just for a single episode. This is why I love the BBC. Such patience, such devotion, and the result... one that takes your breath away in the beauty of our planet.

No comments: