Sunday, November 05, 2006

Lardon Chase and the Holies

The other week I stopped took a turning I've been meaning to take for awhile, just past the Bull at Streatley. Since I've lived here I've looked at the sign saying "Lardon Chase & The Hollies" and thought hmmm wonder what its like up there and never gone, though I've always had to avoid hitting the walkers coming down from there and crossing the road without paying attention...

Isn't it funny, the places so close to us we never end up visiting? Its like never having taken the boy to the Didcot Railway Centre even though I use that train station every day. Well, last week I was early enough to take that turn and drive up the road to see what that bit of countryside was like. Its a fairly steep hill and one thing my little car does NOT like is hills so there was much gnashing of teeth as I got slower and slower driving up. I didnt panic at all honestly, lol, well maybe a little... I get nervous around strange hills in case there is suddenly exposed drops on one side that gets to my fear of heights. Driving and high places are not me :). A nice little car park and then to explore. On one side we have Lardon Chase which starts with a beautiful hill overlooking the town, opening up to rolling fields and the promises of brisk walks on crisp winter mornings with a flask of coffee in the car waiting for when you get back. Maybe a Christmas walk and then warmed mulled wine at home and some mince pies. Mmmmm.


After a half hour gentle traipse around and the growing realisation I really really needed a pee so probably shouldn't go too far or I would have a VERY uncomfortable drive home... I slipped across the road to the other side, into the woodland of the Hollies. A totally different world, shady compared to the sunny openness of the Chase, paths through the tree's leading to who knows where.


So... such beautiful country and now its getting too dark in the evenings to go explore. *pout* *pout* *pout*. One early Saturday though...

No comments: