Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Hearing voices

A very dear friend gave me the most amazing surprise this morning. She phoned me before work and changed from one of those people in the "dear friends i've never had chance to speak to" bucket to one of the rare few in my "speaking friends". I am always scared of the first few times with a phone, or voice chat... I get nervous, hate awkward silences, misunderstandings, having trouble with accents. One of the great benefits of having two Scottish friends has been getting over that whole worry of not understanding whats said and having to say "pardon?". 90% of the time with car noise and their accents I haven't a clue whats been said so I've kind of got used to saying that...

I was asleep when she phoned so I think I rambled but, it has really made my day. She is as lovely to talk to as she always has been online and its given me a whole new perspective. I can't believe how shy she sounded, despite her telling me she was. I adored every word though and have the biggest quiet smile on my face to take me through anything the day throws at me.

One thing that struck me though, after the call, was if you decide something is far too important to let fail - you won't let it. Somethings just mean enough to kick me out of either my apathy or reticence to make that extra effort and say this IS a good thing and it WILL be good despite how I normally am. There was no way we weren't going to enjoy that call and drop into awkward silence, even if I had to ramble to make sure she enjoyed it as much as I did. She giggled lots. This is a good good thing and a sound I loved to hear.

No comments: