Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Upsets

We had a bit of an upset weekend. It was kind of odd. The boy was here and as the weather was so bad we had planned to curl up and watch at least one movie. He'd wanted to watch the original superman for awhile and it finally turned up on my DVD club. Sooooo we sat down. Started watching it. Got to the bit where Krypton starts to blow up and he completely freaks, starts to shake, cry, clings to me and falls to pieces. Now this is SO not like the boy.

He then told me he was scared of the planet blwing up and dying and wanted to know what it was like to die and what happened afterwards. This kind of floored me as I had no idea where it came from. So we talked a little, nothing too heavy just comforting and I cuddled him and held him and just listened. Then we just left it and curled up in bed and he tucked up under his quilt and we cuddled and watched cartoons for a few hours. I let him sleep with me that night as he was quite shaken and he slept fine.

Speaking to ETB later on Sunday and it all fell into place. They had been to a cubs church walk in the week and there had been a "talk" which she said she thought at the time was over-the-top for 8-10 year olds. It was about Jesus dying she said, and the person doing it was very heavy into saying how Jesus must have felt and suffered, etc. The whole thing must have been playing on the poor bugger's mind since then til something happened that brought it all out.

It made me sad to be honest, that he had suffered like that. It was a relief though that he could let it out with me and then let it go. He was so much happier on Sunday and didn't look back at all. Sometimes it's these harder things that remind me just what a special relationship we are growing.

No comments: