Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Putting it into practice

Ok, i've been trying to keep these new ideas in my head through today. Every time I've had a "eh" or "blah" or "angry" feeling today I've metaphorically stopped and asked myself what thought came into my head just before that. It was odd, some of them were so fleeting I wouldn't have registered normally I had even thought them, but they were there. Little frustrations. Issues at work. Unresolved things. Things from the morning. Lots of things, just half glanced thoughts. They were always there though, some little thought leading to the bad feeling. I guess normally I would not even register them and would then lead that bad feeling to other thoughts, other frustrations which then swamped whatever it was that made me have an "eh" moment in the first place. Instead today I made a conscious effort to say "ok that feeling came with that thought and it ends with that thought" and then go back to "neutral" rather than let it carry on.

Strangely, it worked. It was a better day. It was a lot less hassled in many ways so that helped, but many things still remain as annoying. I still have the same problems with my laptop at work locking up constantly which makes it hard to work, but I did manage to put aside the bad thoughts as they came and then get on with what needed doing.

I wouldn't say this has lead to a "happier" day. Just a more serene one, which is good. This isn't easy, it feels like a lot of discipline, but I'm going to keep trying at it.

No comments: