Monday, May 26, 2008

Caveman dating

To intersperse with something more fun... I was on the beach the other day, taking K and her daughter for a walk because I really needed to get away and relax for a moment. We had completely not ended up where we intended to 'cos it had taken too long and we were just clambering on a rocky stony beach instead and I was being very proud because I had managed to climb up one of the groynes so I I wasn't any less fit than an overweight 10 year old. Very chuffed with myself even though I didn't know how I was going to get down.

Anyway, K and her daughter started skimming stones across the water. Now normally I would have avoided joining in as I've always been very self-conscious about how awkward I look, but I joined in and giggled and made a fool of myself quite happily (I am gaining a talent for that ;-). I think it's the first time I've skimmed stones... Finally, finally, after a competition of trying to knock down beer cans of rocks (which somehow I managed to end up being the one who kept having to put them up, and I am still SURE I was cheated out of victory), I thought I would do one last stone... try and beat 5 skips. So I picked up the perfect stone. Weighed it in my hand. Balanced it. Stepped back. Took aim. Pulled my arm back to curve it. Promptly let fly about 90 degree's early (premature throwing) and nearly brained a cute blonde walking down the beach with her bf.


Sigh I CLAIM I was resorting to caveman tactics of trying to knock her out to drag her back to my cave, but that didn't really wash. I just curled up bent over in embarrassment and got the giggles and tried unsuccessfully to hide behind K. I don't think they were English as they didn't say anything when we walked past them on the way out. Of course they may have just been nervously watching me in case I tried for a repeat performance...

It just proves, once again, the safest place to be when I throw things is where I am aiming at...

No comments: