Monday, January 14, 2008

Pride

At the turn of the new year I read several blogs with a common theme. Reviewing the year and saying thankyou to those that had made a difference in their lives that year. I thought about this, but hopefully I said thanks throughout the year... and if I didn't, you totally have my permission to come over and spank me in person. If you don't have my address come ask me ;-).

So instead, I thought I would list three people from this last year that have astounded me with their continuing courage and bravery. Who have taken risks, made difficult decisions and have left me incredibly proud to know them.

Laura... Pookey... for such a brave risk to find something special despite knowing that it's most definitely NOT going to be easy. I am so proud of you for the practical way you've handled something which is a matter of the heart. For the way youve flourished and grown as a woman and this has just shown how strong you can be. I hope this pays off, but I know whatever happens you can be proud of yourself for how you've thrown yourself completely into trying to make this work. I am proud of you for how you've grown and just quite how independent and forceful you've started to realise you are.

ScarletteRose... my friend. You've seen all this from the outside in myself and other friends. You have been a staunch support and source of practical words and kicks up the ass. Now, its me that is so incredibly proud of you and how you have started to make your own life The good times, the bad times, the easy and hard days. I am so proud now that you are looking after yourself for you, finding who you are, finding what you want, finding ways to be the woman you always knew you could be and the Mother you always were. I am so proud of you my friend for not taking the easy path. I am so proud of you for when it came to it for saying "no, no more". I am so proud of you that you have handled the times when it would have been so easy to give in and go back. I am so proud of the determination you've shown and you are an inspiration to me.

Kay... What can I say. In the six months I've known you, you have changed so much I don't know where to begin. When I met you you were a terrified little thing, scared to take risks, scared to believe in yourself, scared to try and take charge of your life. In those six months you've become a different person a dozen times over. You've risked coming to visit me for the sake of wanting to support a friend. You've risked trusting, you've risked so many new things, new experiences, emotions. More than that though, you have taken control of so many things in your life. I know you can't see it, and keep seeing the things you can't do... but for once recognise how much you've done. Taken decisions over your family, stopped just saying "yes" and started to say "no", when you thought it counted. You've started laying down terms to your ex on YOUR terms. You've looked at yourself honestly and seen things you didn't like and need help on... and done that most scary thing and made yourself vulnerable and looked for help. More than that... you persevered and found it. I am so very very very proud of how far you have come in such a short time and have no doubt it will keep on going.

So my three friends, I am proud of everything you have and are doing. I am proud and humble to be called your friend.

No comments: