Sunday, January 06, 2008

Christmas and Stuff

A new year, and one I am glad of. With the pressure of Christmas off things seem to be much less stressful. Is it bad to think that? That Christmas being over is a relief? In the end I relaxed over it, and stopped being so hung up on the whole family thing, but it still felt like work... and work for other peoples sake. Rushing around, doing the Christmas thing. Turning up at the right places at the right times. Making sure cards and presents were sent off... I am glad I regained my sense of humour over it though. Several of the presents I sent to the USA were a little ummmm worse for wear when they arrived. Well, one arrived as just the wrapping paper.... But it made me laugh and they laughed with me. I guess it really is the thought that counts!

My boy had a wonderful time and the mornings with him were pretty special, as was taking him down to my parents. I am so proud of him and how he is growing up. He is a special little lad indeed. Then it was back to work... and then time for me to suddenly being doing things because I wanted to and not because it was fitting in with others plans. The boy was away with his mum, so I went down to visit Kay (kblsb) for new years, going down after work on Monday. We went with her daughters to the big winter wonderland in Cardiff and wandered around with them. It was a lovely evening... we were there about 3hrs and despite some tensions (heh, other peoples families can be as tense as your own is) we had fun. Midnight... We did something I had never done before and never expected I ever would. We've never made much of a fuss about new years... but this time... with Kay and her family, we went out into the street. Sang Auld Lang Syne standing in a circle in the street with all her neighbours. Then one of her neighbours dragged us into her house for a drink, the kids put on a little panto for us and we ended up staying til gone 2am... I had so much fun. I've never done anything like that, being around complete strangers, dragged into their home, being treated in such a friendly, welcoming manner. They didn't think twice about me being their with them with Kay. It was an awful lot of fun. I love the welsh open hospitality attitude. It has to be the best New Years I've ever had. The first I've ever celebrated and understood what the fuss was about.

After that, Kay and her youngest came back to my house for a few days, to give them a break from the day to day stuff at home and a change of scenery after their Christmas and a chance to relax without THEM having to do the whole housework thing. It was nice. I was at work, but they seemed to have a good time and we could watch a movie or two in the evenings, and it was nice to come home to some company for a few days. It's weird... I guess being alone helps us appreciate company when we have it, but I also then appreciated the quietness after they had gone. It wasnt I was glad they were gone, no, I just appreciated the difference and the different things it let me do - to just curl up quietly and not talk to anyone and just unwind from the day. I guess too much of either company or being alone isn't nice... but a balance of the two is just perfect to make you appreciate what you have.

No comments: